75 Chinook Build

Feel free to chat about anything here!

Moderators: PyroZuki, Dave, ToyotaKid

75 Chinook Build

Postby 75nook » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi all, this is my 75 Toyota Chinook, purchased about a year and a half ago from a little old lady in Arizona and shipped to the Northeast where it seems to never stop raining...and then it gets cold. I haven't made a ton of progress but figured it would be fun to start a build thread. I'll catch you guys up on the last year...

Here's the little old lady in AZ...

I spent most of the last year collecting parts, locking rear axle from a 4runner, 85 front axle, a toyota supra motor from a junk truck, another supra motor when I found out the junk truck motor was junk.
ImageImage
I made almost no progress last year, instead I broke my knee skiing and tore all but one ligament out. I don't really recommend it. I had the truck sitting in someone's driveway (a different little old lady's driveway) for about 6 months and then got her out of storage last spring.

Here's the old lady getting naked...

While I was limping around with my broken knee I put another 4runner rear locker on the front axle. It came "free with purchase" of my rear axle. That was a lot of work.

Here's what it would look like with 35s. Nothing under those wheels to hold them on.

Since the 75 frame is about 1.5" narrower than the early 80s frame my spring perches are getting moved on the back axle. The front just got the usual weld on hanger, but I had to use dana axle swap shackles to make the shackle hangers line up and then make spacers to make that work. It all would have been easier if I hadn't tried to push the crossmember so far forward, but now I have room for 35s, so it was worth it.

The supra motor fit, but I figured I might need some other things under the hood to make the motor run so the supra motor got sold.
Now I have this lump. 1.9 tdi pd150. It's a european model so it's beefier the golf motors, plus more room for things like radiators. It'll do similar hp and more torque than the 7mgte. I know, not a Toyota motor, but it's a diesel!!

Here it is with the front axle in...

I'm currently trying to figure out my rear springs. I put up these trail gear springs but they aren't lining up so well. Dave may have talked me into 52" Chevys.
All my frame marks for different springs...

That pretty much brings it up to the present.
75nook

Return to General 4x4 Discussion and Chat